Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fit as a fiddle? Me?

Went to the gym again this morning, feeling extremely guilty and pretty bad about myself. I'm supposed to be "training" for a 10k run in the summer, and I am not very good at self-motivating. You might think that the following is a good thing but in some ways it really isn't. You see, I've never really had to think about what I eat (other than the diabetes), I've never really done or had to do much exercise, I've never watched my weight, I've never looked at myself in the mirror and thought "you're fat" or "you're too thin". I just am. It took Steve to convince me that looking in the mirror before going out was actually a good idea (thank God for Stephen). So I'm getting better at some things.

But here's the thing. I convinced a friend to go to the gym last month. She's never been to a gym before. She's in her 30's I think (haven't asked yet!) and knows she's unfit and overweight, but was terrified of going to the gym. So she and her hubby went along and joined and are nearly through their induction - and she's been going EVERY DAY for a WHOLE HOUR. She went to the 4th induction session and the girl said, "gosh, you've been coming quite a lot. You do know that your body needs to rest as well, don't you?" So my friend now takes Sundays off.

I feel.... I don't know what the word is. But Adrian, my instructor, was quite surprised today. Last time I went it was just after getting back from Finland and it felt like I'd just slept and eaten for two weeks, so he went easy on me and took the speed on the treadmill down a notch. I was exhausted. Two weeks later and I've not done a single session on my own, or been out running, or done anything really except bake lots of cakes and bread, and he puts the treadmill speeds back up to what they were before Christmas. And I sail through. I'm still chattering away at the end of the session, barely out of breath. Adrian is confused. So am I. He says he wishes his training regime could be like mine - don't do any work, and still get fitter.

I'm hoping that the thought of the speeds going up next week will panic me into actually doing some work this week....

No comments: