Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cornbread and lingonberry bread... and spoiling the husband :-)

I have been accused of spoiling Stephen! I said it was to make sure he didn't run off, but he assures me that there's more to him loving me than just my baking :-) I baked cornbread for breakfast on Saturday, and made a loaf of lingonberry bread in the afternoon. We finished the lingonberry bread yesterday with dinner and the cornbread is looking at me from the breadbin... eat me... eat me... I'm bored so I bake. Just need to be able to adjust the quantities a little better, so that I am able to bake what we might actually eat, before it goes bad because we can't eat it fast enough.

Made dumplings for the first time ever last night to go with the casserole. I've made biscuit before, thanks to Justin's Canadian recipe, but Steve says that dumplings still win hands down. Quite pleased. So we've got the other half of the casserole for lunch today, and it'll be bread and cheese and salad for tea later on.

The rain is miserable. The most miserable of miserable weather. I really miss the cold of Finland, it just seems so warm here by comparison. It was odd going back there, we thought we'd be ok with the cold and when the temperature dropped we were really not ok! I guess living somewhere where it gets cold every year you get slowly accustomed to the change in temperature and can deal with it better (and have appropriate clothing) but it caught us out. By the end of the week though we were much more accustomed to it, and when we got back to England even though it was cold here by our standards, it felt so warm and muggy, not nice at all.

So I'm a little bored. I'm assuming that the boredom has something to do with not having anything to prepare for (namely, Christmas, and relatives coming to visit) and also because we don't have a car at the moment and it's just too wet to consider going out for a walk. I don't even fancy going to the shops at the moment although I really ought to as it's Steve's sister's birthday at the weekend and I'd like to find something lovely for her. Even though the shops are just across the road from me I just can't seem to find the motivation! Maybe by this afternoon the rain won't be so bad and I might venture out...

No comments: