Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Information Overload vs New Friend

I've had a good week. Last Wednesday Steve's aunt came to visit for a few days, and we spent a good amount of time walking around Steyning. She also, when I was occupied with housework and accounts, went round most of the village "just picking up" information that we might find useful. I have to admit it was a sweet thought, especially as the full amount of free time that I've spent just wandering around amounts up to a single morning when the car died. But I felt inundated with information about the local Anglican church, the Steyning Centre (where there are numerous mums and tots groups, a choir, various societies including photographic and art and flower arranging and much more) and it didn't stop there. I know she didn't mean to, but I did feel very much as if I was being organised and arranged and my social life sorted out for me. I've had heart-to-hearts with Steve about this, he used to do this with me too - organise my social life for me, and make it very difficult (without meaning to) for me to say no to something.

Yesterday I went to see Gina, a white Zimbabwean lady. I met her and her husband at Jubilee and while at first Steve and I thought we really had nothing in common apart from we both lived in Steyning, I had a really wonderful time yesterday afternoon drinking tea and chatting about all sorts of things. Turns out she's a very creative lady, and also musical and had written songs in the past....... and they have a keyboard which I'm welcome to go and play (in return for a little bit of tutoring in playing piano!) and we're going to go walking together a couple of times a week. And maybe she'll overcome her fear of gym classes and come with me one time! She works at the grammar school and during conversation I said I'd been working at a grammer school, in the reprographics department - and discover that they're looking for a part time reprographics assistant! I could do that!!! Part time suits me absolutely fine, I guess I just need to get out of the house a little. And the grammar school is also an adult education centre and they do loads of classes including pottery! And plenty of art or craft classes.

It was wonderful because all this information came from somebody who was enthusiastic about it and did it herself and wasn't just trying to fix me up with something to do. Oh dear, I feel like I'm bashing Steve's aunt a bit.... I'm not, and I love her to bits, but I just think she can't help herself!!

We can't go to Gina's cell group because they meet on a thursday (Steve does rugby training on a Thursday and I go to the pub with them afterwards) but maybe that's a good thing. It means I get to meet more people! Must remember to call the church office this morning and talk to someone about cell groups......

No comments: