Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Saw one of the Big Issue vendors on King Street again today. Said hello, stayed to chat for a bit. He was waiting for some new magazines to arrive as he'd just sold out. I'd seen him a few weeks ago, and during conversation I found out he'd only just started selling the Big Issue, and was absolutely determined not to be selling for any longer than necessary.

So I asked him why he was still selling!! I guess I can't really print his story here 'cos he's up in court in a few weeks, and I'm praying for him 'cos I believe him when he says he's innocent of the charges. I pray that he has the courage to be able to tell the authorities the actual person responsible, as he knows who it is. So as a result of this arrest etc he's lost his job and his house, which was in his girlfriend's name, who also got arrested. Hence he's on the street, having to sell the Big Issue.

But I suppose for the time being that's his lot, guilty until proven innocent.

But when he's cleared, (if he's cleared,) he's got to get back on his feet again. Which seems so hard! He's in sheltered accommodation, which costs more than my mortage payments per month, and as he's in sheltered he can't get any work as he doesn't have an official address. And selling the Big Issue doesn't actually make very much.

Seems so easy to end up on the streets, and so very very hard to get back off them.


Saw Stuart later, on Piccadilly Approach. I had an Alpha leaflet in my bag which I'd been keeping for him, I've told him about the Alpha course before. He had a look at it and decided he could easily get to one of the venues - and even if he goes just because he can get a free meal, and gets God as a result, that's a good result. I remembered to buy him a bag of crisps and an apple today, which made him smile.

Tonight it's takeaway for tea, at my parents' house in Sale. Mum made a curry which was gorgeous, and after dropping really heavy hints that I really wanted the piano for my birthday (they have a piano in the front room which I learnt to play on, which doesn't get played much now that all the birds have flown the nest) they said that they'd phoned the piano tuner, who'd recommended a particular piano-mover, and that as soon as I'd cleared a space in my house I can have it!!! It needs to settle for a fortnight after arriving, and then it can be tuned. What an amazing birthday present I'm getting from my parents this year!! I can't wait.... I can sit and play music again..... :o) happy

No comments: