Saturday, October 02, 2004

Life goes on

My grandma died last Monday. I was angry, as well as upset, when Grandad died a few years ago everyone thought she'd be the one to go on and on and on and bounce back from everything. Then this summer we discovered she had cancer of the bladder, and it was only picked up cos she went to the docs cos she was weeing blood. And obviously by then it was too late to do anything cos it was so advanced.

But it's sad how quickly she went. She was in a nursing home, eating, happy, comfortable, then she wasn't eating cos it was painful, then she was in hospital on a drip, then she was barely conscious, then she was dead.

So I have one grandparent left, and it's hard to love her because despite the fact that she's not really who she was - it's almost like she's a different person. Her personality has been robbed off her by age and senility, and she gets irritated and grumpy because she knows that she's not who she was, and takes it out on us, without meaning to. It's so hard to love her.

I think my parents are amazing, coping with their parents. My mum's mum has being slowly getting old, and senile, and difficult to cope with, she'd been living with mum and dad for about a year and a half before mum finally realised she couldn't cope and now gran's in a home, and we hope that finally there's a permanent place for her in mum's home of choice. My dad's mum had been widowed for about 4 years, and seemed to be coping and bouncing back, and now all of a sudden she is no more and my dad's seen both his parents die within 5 years. In fact, I think it was around about this time 4 years ago that grandad died.

But life goes on.

No comments: