Friday, September 17, 2010

Flower



What a day.

Started off badly, I lost count of the times Ben was sick last night, but thankfully with regular top-ups of calpol he's only been sick once today and that was first thing. Hoping for a sick-free night tonight, must keep the calpol top-ups going...

But it got better. Ben decided that today, a hoover attachment and the stairgate would be the perfect accompaniment to his singing!

I decided that we'd go into Steyning for our Friday shop, and we'd see Daddy and give him his sandwiches and pick up some paint - Steve cycles to work on Fridays, so he can't cart stuff around that easily! But by the time I'd got everything ready, changed a nappy, packed bags (with spare clothes, spare nappies, lots of wipes, a huge roll of kitchen paper, bags, snacks, made sandwiches, drinks, remembered crisps, coats...) he'd decided that he was wiped after being up so much last night and fell asleep on me. And had a longer sleep than normal, so I ended up having to wake him up and tell him that we were going to have a picnic with daddy - much excitement ensued and we made it out of the door with no tears at all.

I saw these in the carpark at work, was quite excited to see so many 'shrooms!!

The afternoon was going to be spent digging with Ben, but on the way home he started asking to go the peacock, so off to the playpark we went. And played on most things, and enjoyed ourselves even if I did get rather cold because the things Ben wanted to play on were in the shade of the trees and I didn't have a jacket... But we did get to do some digging eventually.



I bought bedding plants.

I think I am succumbing to middle-aged-ness, early. Never in a million years did I imagine I would ever buy, let alone get round to planting, bedding plants.

But I have. ! (I'll be pestering Steve to let me have a shed before you know it...)

And spring bulbs too! I am quite amazed at myself. Ben didn't help. He stomped on some of the plants, I think he was fed up that I was enjoying myself and he was not doing very much except get hungry again.

Eventually I pulled a stool up and he spent a looooooong time standing on the stool, pressing the doorbell, and turning the hall light on and off, and giving a (very repetitive) running commentary on this.

But now it is nearly time to do all the washing up and go to bed. Bulbs planted, bedding plants (dianthus) planted, potatoes fed and watered (am really quite excited about them), other shrubs watered - I have had a "me" evening. Steve came home and looked after Ben for which I am very very grateful. It has been quite a while since I have been able to do some (fairly) uninterrupted gardening :)

This photo isn't what I was actually after, but I did like it. And it's cold outside and I want a cup of tea, and I don't really want to spend half an hour setting up the tripod (which is really what is needed) to get the shot that was in my head. I am satisfied.

And tired. :)

No comments: