Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Honesty

Am I being stupid? Am I being stupid by being honest? Am I being too honest? Am I living as a Christian and living differently to the world around me? Is that going against me? Am I missing something in the Bible that says, "be honest, but not when it might cost you a job"? Or is there something that says, "be truthful, but it's okay to lie by omission"?

I went for a job interview on Monday (the 3rd job I've been interviewed for so far) for a town planning company. The interview was really good, I knew it was a job that I could do well, the company was interesting, the work sounded interesting, the benefits were great - it sounded really really good (plus it was a good salary, always useful). They said that they would draw up a shortlist of applicants for a second interview and let me know, via the agency.

I've just received the phonecall from the agency and I'm really upset.

I was perfect for the job. Absolutely perfect. I was the person they were looking for. Apart from, I was honest (too honest, according to the agency) by saying that potentially in a year's time we might be looking at relocating, according to where Steve was offered work in his Acoustics profession.

And, that put them off.

So I am torn, really torn.

What am I supposed to do? Lie by omission and then cause bad feeling a year down the line by suddenly announcing that I'm upping and leaving because Steve's been offered a job somewhere else? Do I go into a job purely for my benefit - i.e. not telling them about the fact that it's very likely that I'll only be around for one year? That was what the lady at the job agency told me to do just now.

Or do I go for a job interview thinking, "what can I offer this company" (rather than, "what can this company offer me") and be honest about where I see the future going?

While I was in Finland it was prophesied over me about being purity and truth (not being pure and truthful, but being purity and truth) so I feel I can now hardly go into an interview and lie, even by omission. Besides, to do that would feel so utterly utterly wrong.

I am standing out from the crowd by being honest, and right now it just seems like that has been thrown right back in my face.

I suppose I can consider it an answer to prayer in some way, because we did pray at cell the other week that doors that I was not meant to go through would be closed firmly. It just feels like this one has been closed rather forcefully - slammed in my face, as you might say.
I'm still waiting to hear from Forsyths, who promised me they'd let me know either way early this week. Maybe they're struggling too with the fact that I was honest.

Am I being stupid? Am I being stupid by being honest? Am I being too honest? Am I living as a Christian and living differently to the world around me? Is that going against me? Am I missing something in the Bible that says "be honest, but not when it might cost you a job"? Or is there something that says, "be truthful, but it's okay to lie by omission"?

I know God has promised us blessings, but this "blessing" hurts.

No comments: