Tuesday, March 03, 2009

High Time...

... for an update.

Ben had his final immunisations today, the final set until he's 13 months old. I'm glad they wait until they're 13 months, it would be a pretty rubbish birthday present otherwise. So: today. Three injections, two in one leg and one in the other. By the 3rd injection Ben was mightily displeased, as you might expect, so we had a cuddle and a feed back in the waiting room, and he's now forgiven me (or forgotten it ever happened) and is back on the boob - at home, so mummy can have her cup of tea and her biscuits.

He's 4 months old now, and has finally reached 12lbs - that's about 5.4kg in new money. Still in 0-3 month clothes, but that's good - he got nearly 3 months' wear out of his newborn clothes and although he's filling out his 0-3month clothes lenthways, he's still a skinny lad (sorry, slender) and 3-6month stuff would likely fall straight off. After the worrying fortnight where he only put on 3oz, he then went on to put on 11oz the following fortnight!

I looked at his legs while I held the bits of cotton wool over the punctures, and couldn't help remembering how spindly they were for his first set of jabs. His legs are a lovely shape, he's growing so well. I'm trying to find some decent pictures to put in...





He's really started to enjoy his ladybird spinner that his auntie Ruth bought him, he can rotate all the way round by himself and loves playing with the different colours and textures and things. Crinkle Caterpillar is still a firm favourite though, he keeps Ben company in his car seat and on his bouncer and I'm hoping it's washable as the amount of drool Ben produces is phenomenal.

I attempted to start playing with food with Ben last week, but the "what's this muck?!" face, together with tummy aches, has put me off for a bit. I think I'm going to wait now until he actually shows an interest, trying to grab hold of my food, really trying to put anything and everything into his mouth. We tried banana (too slimy, didn't like it much!), apple and banana puree (same reaction as just banana), carrot (a raw stick - was gummed a lot but wasn't interested really) and toast (the best reaction. Evidently doesn't taste of much and feels nice to gum to death and then spit out with a sneeze). He'll suck soup off my finger quite happily, but not off a spoon, at least, not with the intention of swallowing it! So that's weaning postponed for now. Not that I'm desperate to wean - I'm actually kind of glad that I'm still preferable to anything else!

Other developments are his ability to roll from his front onto his back (I have sort of got video evidence of this, although I didn't get the camera far enough away and apart from Ben knocking his head on my knee there's no proof apart from my word that I didn't roll him over myself!), and he has discovered giggling - what a GORGEOUS sound that is! Looking forward to it being a frequent sound in the coming days.

He's growing so fast, too fast and not fast enough all at the same time.

No comments: