Thursday, November 22, 2007

Sugar Frustrated

Steve's been on a first aid course this week, with the St Jonh's Ambulance, through work. The other day they briefly covered diabetics and what to do if they appear to be slipping into unconsciousness due to hyper- or hypo- glycaemia. The two are opposite ends of the scale although they look pretty similar to the average onlooker: cranky and drowsy generally. Same treatment - give them sugar (marmalade sandwich is good) and get them to hospital. The worst that could happen after this is they fall into coma. Omit the marmalade sandwich and it could be much worse.

Anyway. I was not well last night. I was hungry so I had a slice of toast, a bun, a small chocolate, and a J2O. Fabulous combination. Combined to make me feel generally shivery and sleepy and headachy. Steve made me do a blood test. (Oh yes and I'd forgotten to take my pill in the morning as well.) It came back 15.1 which is pretty high for me - at least I think it is - I don't test as often as I should - but I was ok again after dinner.

Then Steve made me promise to do 5 blood tests during the course of today. I hate doing the tests, I have to psyche myself up before every single prick of the needle. And it really is only a pin-prick and rarely hurts. I've done 4 so far and they have made me feel guilty every time I go towards the biscuit jar or even so much as LOOK at the J2O that I opened an hour and a half ago. It's miserable. It's necessary because I need to know what my blood sugar is like over the course of an average day, but it's so miserable - and not really accurate due to the amount of biscuits I'm NOT eating.

I like biscuits. They provide me with break options during the day, when I just can't bring myself to do the washing or the washing up just yet, when there's not enough time to start anything before I have to go out, when there's a cup of tea and the sudoku needing company. I don't know what to eat instead of biscuits. Crisps are full of fat and salt and therefore bad. Toast. There's an option. Except it has to have butter and marmalade on, and it's just too much effort to have when there's a biscuit alternative. And biscuits are getting nicer and nicer, have you noticed? They're all so nice...

And all the while, the phrase comes back to haunt me... "You're not hungry, you're BORED."

No comments: